On 03/09/10 11:41, steve donovan wrote:
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Stefan Behnel<stefan_ml@behnel.de>  wrote:
Remember that this is supposed to be read from the POV of a Python
developer. Lua certainly has more advantages for, say, C developers than for
the ordinary Python developer.

Python developers should also be aware of projects like Lunatic
Python, which provides two-way interoperability between the languages.

Here is a semi-serious suggestion, which I'm probably going to get
flamed for anyway.  Make a Python dialect and compile it to Lua 5.1
bytecodes, in such a way that the result is JIT-able.  There are going
to be semantic mismatches, which is why I say 'dialect'; it's probably
more correct to say 'a language with Python syntax' (rather like the
other great language from Brazil, Boo, which leverages Python syntax
but uses static type inference and runs on the .NET VM)

Pythonistas are very attached to whitespace as syntax ;)

As for batteries, Penlight started as an attempt to clone some
convenient Python libraries for Lua programmers.

steve d.

PS. It would make a nice Masters-level project, even if it does not
take the world by storm.

it may sound stupid but what if (dreaming awake) LuaJIT could become sort of language agnostic allowing the usage from other languages adapted to it's constraints? something like parrot or llvm BUT for those sharing the goals of Lua (embeddability, extendability, simplicity, light footprint, C, ...)

tinyrb and tinypy have already adapted the languages to Lua's VM, also a few people is working on the same thing for their-own-language. I'm sure such project would attract great people.

regards