I am facing in fact the same situation than with OpenCV : i would like to avoid modifying the C library itself. Up the now, i think that the easiest solution (even if not 100% perfect) is the proposal of Roberto (ie calling the lua_gc(STEP, x) during picture allocation to 'speedup' the gc). At the end, and after reading all your contributions, i think that the perfect solution still remains the integration of 2 new actions in the lua_gc call, allowing to increase/decrease externally the LUA internal memory counter.

Anyway, thansk for all your contributions, it's clearly very helpful.