On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Chris Babcock <cbabcock@asciiking.com> wrote:
> I'm very interested in social
> design, which mostly means getting technology out of the way of human
> interactions .... Examples of this would be automating moderator tasks in
> a game system so that you can maintain a smaller staff and don't have
> to pull good people out of the player pool to serve as admins

That's a humane and appropriate use of technology, as support for interaction.

>  developers managing their own uploads and module descriptions. Add threaded
> comments so that other users can provide information and warnings to
> other prospective users..

We were very much thinking of this in the LuaForge2 discussions,
together with the trust issues.  Sputnik seemed a good fit for the
kind of intelligent & secure wiki envisaged. The LuaSnippets site was
_one_ vision of how that could happen;  together with snippets, there
would be projects and modules, all cross-linked so that a person
looking at a project could immediately see what modules it provided
and any illustrative snippets available.

> I also strongly suspect that a centralized repository isn't what
> LuaRocks or LuaRocks.org was intended to be. I'd love to be advocating
> a more distributed approach myself.

This is totally true - people set up their in-house repositories, for
instance - it's straightforward with luarocks-admin.

>The best thing to do is write code and put it out there early.

That's how it usually works. I'm all for releasing 'executable proposals'.!

steve d.