''' We have been here before, so you really need to be more precise about
 the problem you'd like to solve, and how you aim to solve it.'''

Actually I don't have any specific problem, I am just trying to be helpful.

'''For example, there are already several attempts to make reusable
libraries for Lua, including the various libraries that are part of
Kepler and my own stdlib project. There has also been work on making
it easy to distribute them (LuaRocks). '''

If we have been here before was there a thread topic I can reread(when the archives are available). Approximately when did the last effort fail? and more importantly was it due a technical reasons or to a lack of motivation?

Perhaps there is a new cast of characters on the list that can make it work this time. I understand what you are saying about Kepler and stdlib but perhaps things will be different this time if there is a community wide effort and an explicit goal and a website to be the focal point of this explicit goal.

--Patrick