Hi Lua Authors, List

Please don't shoot... but I have to ask because I really liked lexical environments in work2. Is there any chance of reinstating the:

   in env do ... end

construct as sugar for:

   do local _ENV = ... end

?

The only justification I have for it is that it's not ugly (actually quite the opposite). To me everything else about Lua 5.2 is beautiful, except overloading un-prefixed symbol lookup/update by assigning to _ENV (the semantics are perfect, I just find it ugly).

Anyway I thought it might be worth considering in light of the new and improved Lua implementation (no more function environments, etc.).

If you all feel like hitting me with a stick now, then perhaps just remove it from "The Complete Syntax of Lua" in the docs:

http://www.lua.org/work/doc/manual.html#9

Cheers,
Rich