Thanks to everyone who replied to this and apologies for taking so long
to say it. I had to go away at short notice...

>> >From the other side, support for asynchronous I/O would be very
>> useful. It would be cool if IUP provided some async I/O support like
>> GTK+

>  Yea, but IUP is restricted to GUI. async I/O support is in fact part
of
> Glib.

I actually think that simple non-blocking I/O would suffice with a
proper popen.
I have no problem with the cost of starting (and maintaining) a new
process to do I/O.
The real problem is that you can't make the pipe from popen non-blocking
on Win32.
I might look into a module that would allow non-blocking pipes.... and a
silent background process
(ie no "dos box") on Win32...

Meanwhile I am having fun with Lanes....

Regards and thanks,

Bob