On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Antonio Scuri <scuri@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>  Yea, but IUP is restricted to GUI. async I/O support is in fact part of
> Glib.

Which is cross-platform AFAIK, but a big dependency.  It would be cool
if there were a portable async I/O Lua binding which IUP could use.
I've experimented with a binding to Linux AIO, with mixed results.
Win32 API provides similar features.  In an ideal world, we could use
coroutines with non-blocking i/o to do just about anything that would
normally be done with threading, e.g. a generalization of the Copas
concept. (My AIO binding started as an attempt to pull in otherwise
blocking i/o (like console input or pipes) into a Copas server - this
did work)

steve d.