> The object has been marked for finalization. It will be finalized no
> matter what, so you should not use it anymore. That is why it is removed
> from weak tables.

There is no way for me to know that the object has been marked for
finalization - so I can't stop using it.
I rely on __gc being called to give me this information. The fact that
its corresponding key is no longer in
the weak value table can give me a hint, but it is not reliable. It is
entirely possible that the key has been
re-used and now points to a completely different user data.

> Why do you need that reference?

In my system, we are using a toggle reference to bind to ref counted
objects (GObject). The user data has a
strong ref to the underlying object. The object, in turn, toggles
between a weak ref and a strong ref to the
user data. (It is weak when the user data's ref is the only one and
strong when there are others). This works
well but relies on the weak ref to the user data sticking around until
__gc is called.

See http://www.mail-archive.com/gtk-devel-list@gnome.org/msg00544.html