As a note, I don't recommend Cairo at all. It's nice until you have a
large bitmap that you're trying to scale smaller. In this case, Cairo
(or more exactly the pixman library used by Cairo) uses the worst
style of sampling possible. This kindof goes into it here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mono-devel-list@lists.ximian.com/msg18099.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/pixman@lists.freedesktop.org/msg00202.html

The basic gist of it is, even if you tell Cairo to use the highest
quality possible sub-sampling, it will always use nearest neighbor
when downscaling the image.

Timothy

--
“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was
that–lacking zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination