Mike McGonagle wrote:
A friend of mine has a 13 year old kid who is interested in Robots. I
am wanting to suggest that he learn a programming language (Lua in
particular) and learn a bit about building a computer (as Robots are
specialized computers). As Lua appears to be a language designed for
embedded systems, I was wondering if anyone out there could give me
some links to sites that deal with Robotic projects that are using
Lua, so that I could pass them along to the kid to encourage him to
learn Lua. Also, as a related topic, if there are any projects that
are dealing with AI, that would be great, too. That would be something
else for him down the road.

It's the wrong "embedded", I think. Lua's emphasis is on embedding into software programs, e.g. like VisualBasic in Excel or Word, but much better. Not the hardware embedded as in MCUs.

There are Lua for microcontrollers, but they are not really 13-year-old-proof.

So there's the no-brainer Lego stuff. But cheap servos are so very attractive these days, however going the non-nicely-packaged route would be a bit more difficult, though there are things like Arduino or a BASIC-based board to make things easier.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)