2010/7/14 Robert Raschke <rtrlists@googlemail.com>:

> [...]

You propose nonderterministic behavior where it is no good (for a long time) - or at least I believe so, I am far away from being an expert on the field of multithreading. What would be the benefit of an unspecified order? There are no controls in Lua to go asynchronous and the VM is unable to call "more than one" function per time, even if it is an external C function. And on what nature should the VM decide the calling order then? Because the execution will be done in a serial manner since the VM is usually single threaded (and I don't see a way around this from my experience).

In my opinion, nondeterminism is making no practical sense here - Multiple assignments are actually pretty rare (compared to other stuff): Even if you could boost execution by n*100%, the effect in total would be 0. The only sense that the specification is undefined is that it is not regarded important at all - which I can understand: relying on a specific order in such an assignment is quite fragile. But I would appreciate if the ordering would be at least be guaranteed to be stable during the VM execution. Anything else could cause some really extremely painfully debugging ("Why is that code working here and not there, wtf?!").

But maybe I am wrong here - actually I wonder if Mike has stumbled upon this issue when implementing LuaJIT and what his opinion on this matter would be.

Greetings,

Eike