> What are the drawbacks of old behavior from the practical point of
> view? IMO, the more tail call is different from normal call, the
> more confusion it makes.

This has been extensively discussed in the past. (Of course in the
reverse; list member complained about the old behavior and we defended
it.)  Seach the Lua list for "tail calls" (or tail calls debug).

In essence, tail calls *are* different from normal calls, no matter
what the debug interface tells you. So, the question is not about how
different tail calls are from normal calls, but how much the debug
interface tries to hide these differences from you.

-- Roberto