Moritz Moeller wrote:
We have a chicken-egg problem though. The software to run the
installer needs the installer to run before, to actually run it.

Prime Mover appears to have a solution for this, though I'm not saying
its ideal:

Prime Mover is a build tool, similar to 'make', but considerably more
powerful and easier to use. Due to magic, it's written entirely in
Lua but doesn't require a Lua interpreter to run --- simply
distribute the single executable with your project and it'll run on
any (Unix-like) platform.

See http://www.cowlark.com/prime-mover/ if you're interested.

 - Peter Odding