Peter Jin wrote:
> This isn't a personal machine, so I can't change the power saving settings.

Alas, this means it's unsuitable for any kind of benchmarking.

> Why would "local x" cause more memory allocation for coroutine creation?

It's not about the "local x" itself. Small changes to the memory
layout (e.g. by the JIT compiler itself) may trigger system calls
and context switches at different points in time (potentially
rescheduling it to a different, higher- or lower-clocked CPU core
and/or triggering clock speed changes).

> The gcc version is slower. Probably this is just a quirk of this machine.

I guess this is caused by the same issue. E.g. a minimal C program
uses fewer system calls and has less of a warm-up phase.

--Mike