Peter Harris wrote:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Mike Pall wrote:
Petri Häkkinen wrote:
So my question is, what are the chances of getting jit to work
on non-SSE2 capable CPUs?
Well, not without substantial effort.

[snip]
Does LuaJIT use much SSE2 that isn't in SSE? I seem to recall SSE2
added mostly integer operations, and a few cache prefetch type
instructions, but not so much in the way of floating point
instructions.

With SSE2, the SSE registers can be used pretty much like a regular-looking bunch of floating-point registers. IIRC, that could not be done for SSE. SSE2 is a nice minimum target to aim for on contemporary x86 machines.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)