>   * Who would be a good person to speak with about developments in the
>   Ginga deployment?

I have forwarded your message to Luiz Fernando Gomes Soares.

>  * What are other LUA-based interactive TV middleware layers and who
>  might I speak with about them?

There is this old new:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/15/vudu-hulu-tv-tech-personal-cz_eh_1216vudu.html

* FORBES: Vudu opens its set-top box to outside software and video.
  [...] The new developer tools are based on Lua, the popular open
  source programming language used in videogames such as "World of
  Warcraft."

Not exactly about STB, but just in case...

http://active-tv.blogspot.com/2008/12/anouncing-ui-for-internet-tv-using-lua.html

  Active-TV Technology now offers an internet TV UI based on the Lua
  language and run-time support routines from CoreCodec.

> I hope to be able to give LUA the place it deserves in the coverage of
> the STB API market.

That would be great ;)

-- Roberto