On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:13:51 +0200, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
>This is true, but it is easy to work out the dependencies of a Lua
> Rocks package.  [...] COPAS is pure Lua, so you just need to find
> the appropriate binary extensions LuaSocket & LuaFileSystem
> (which the LuaBinaries project do provide as well)

Thanks Steve for the input.

By "binary extensions", do you mean a DLL (like lfs.dll or
socket\core.dll) that I can just copy into the LuaBinaries directory
and expect wsapi.exe to run happily, as opposed to downloading their
source code (in C?) and compiling them myself?

http://luaforge.net/projects/luafilesystem/
http://luaforge.net/projects/luasocket/

BTW, does eg. "luarocks install luafilesystem", downloads the source
code + compiles it + installs the binary output to the right place, or
does it just fetch a pre-compiled binary from the web?

> The irritating thing about the Lua binaries in LfW is that they
> require that damn Microsoft runtime.  LuaBinaries does not AFAIK
> provide a mingw build of Lua 5.1.4 and it would be cool if these were
> available precisely because they are easier to install.

Do you mean that by using the MinGW compiler, it'd be possible to
compile the C runtime (upon which Lua depends) directly in the Lua
interpreter/compiler/libraries, so the MS C runtime would not longer
be needed when shipping Lua?

Since we're on the subject, I'd like to check something:

"Lua 5.2 - work2"
http://luaforge.net/frs/?group_id=110&release_id=1553

Am I correct in understanding that...

1. "Executables" are the Lua stand-alone compiler/interpreter, while
"Windows Libraries" are for C developpers who wish to include Lua as a
scripting engine within their application?

2. When using the Library version of Lua (lua5_2_work2_Win32_*), a C
developer must choose a version that was compiled with the same
compiler as he uses to write the main, embedding application (MS VC++,
Cygwin, MinGW, Borland, etc.)?

3. In the LuaBinaries package...
- lua5.1.exe: command-line interpreter
- wlua5.1.exe: like lua51.exe, but with no console output (so a GUI is
required to interact with user)
- luac5.1.exe: turns a Lua source file into bytecode
- bin2c5.1.exe: ?
- lua5.1.dll: Used to embed Lua into a master program?
- 	lua51.dll: Difference with lua5.1.dll?
- \Microsoft.VC80.CRT\: Required by the Lua executables and/or the Lua
DLLs?

Thank you for any info that will let me see the light ;-)