On 11-5-2010 2:10, Leo Razoumov wrote:
On 2010-05-10, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>  wrote:
We are pleased to announce thatis
  the Czechoslovak TeX Users Group has joined our corporate sponsorship program!
         http://www.cstug.cz/index.eng.html

  With the LuaTeX project, Lua now plays a important part in the future of TeX:
         http://www.luatex.org/

This is a welcome development, indeed. TeX has been a great document
processor but its macro language shows its age. Lua functionality can
over time migrate TeX engine into a modern world.

fyi ...

The luatex project started in 2005 and is progressing on schedule (as downward compatibility is a issue we take our time to do it properly). The current release, i.e. the one that goes on texlive, is 0.60 and in a few years from now we hope to release version 1.00.

With respect to the macro language, it's not that bad for coding documents, but Lua is definitely quite handy for extending the machinery. All aspects of TeX are opened up successively but no large fundamental extensions are written in c as one is supposed to use Lua.

The history till version 0.50 is sort of captured in

  http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mk.pdf

as well as in articles in user group journals. A similar document describes the history till 1.00. The team reports on a regular basis at user group meetings. The latest versions of luatex can always be fetched from www.contextgarden.net.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE