  I think that instead of build an new application, you just have to build another DLL and replace the lua5.1.dll in the main folder and in the clibs folder.

  If the only change is LUA_USE_APICHECK I can build a DLL for you, and this DLL can also be included in future Lfw distributions.

Best,

scuri

From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br [mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] On Behalf Of Benoit Germain
Sent: sexta-feira, 7 de maio de 2010 13:40
To: Lua list
Subject: debugging a C module using LfW?

Hello,

I have a C module that causes a very strange error. It is probably caused by a side effect of some lua API misuse. To check this, I need a lua core compiled with LUA_USE_APICHECK. Unfortunately, such an executable is not readily provided in the LfW distro. So I opened M$ Visual 2005, created a new empty win32 console application project dropped all lua sources but luac.c, replaced stock luaconf.h with that of LfW, added LUA_USE_APICHECK, and hit the Build button. This got me an executable, that I copied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lua\5.1\lua\LuaDebug.exe. Problem is, my scripts make use of some LfW-provided DLLs, which in turn probably use the provided lua DLL. So I end up with two interpreters in my application, with the usual problems.

This got me to wonder: Could it be possible to have LfW provide a debug build of the core interpreter DLL, which one could swap against the release build, to be able to perform stronger checks in that situation?

BTW, there is also a crash in the lua debugger when tooltipping a variable containing a lot of data:

t = {}

str = string.rep("a", 100)

for i = 1,100 do

                table.insert( t, str)

end

print( t) -- break here, place mouse cursor over variable t, and watch scite die with a great cry of pain

Regards,

Benoit.