Not speaking for Benout, but I view hash tables as conceptually different from vectors, and Lua's attempt to conflate the two is clever, but confusing. It's one of the causes of the moderately common questions about why #t doesn't work as expected, or why there are issues with nils in tables, or why ipairs and pairs....

But it's the way Lua is, it has its fans and I wouldn't suggest it be changed now.

Paul