Hello list!
Some days before I asked about how to execute a command line command without the flashing shell, and there somebody pointed that I should use Alien library. So, I checked that out, and after it's documentation, it seems very promising. But on the LuaForge page I found _just_ the source code. Ok, I knew about a machine where MSVS08 is installed, so tried to compile it. After some days, I was able to do it, because I am not a C programmer, and it took a time while I noticed that it uses #ifdef WINDOWS and VS uses _WINDOWS. After I did these things, and compiled it, I tried it with Lua5.1, and the tests failed. First, require("alien") fails, because it excepts require("alien.core") (as I saw it in the .def file). Even if it loads the library, I am unable to use it, because on alien.load("libname") it throws an 'error'. By error I experienced: the Lua stand-alone writes an 'A' to the output, and a short message (stack traceback) about the line where I used load. I think (and it pertains for all Lua libraries) a precompiled form would be good, because many Lua programmer don't have C development environment. And, the documentation contains references to Linux OS, nothing about Windows, as well as the tests. I hope somebody can help me with it, and able to share a _working_ x86 dll with me, and can show me some examples, because it seems like I found the library which I need for my work :)
Regards: Attila