Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
Not exactly. A simple constant folding would only move the concatenation
from run time to compile time (which in Lua is not such a big
difference, unless the string is defined multiple times).

And unless you have a very small amount of memory (e.g. in embedded systems).

> The compiler would still create all those small strings and keep
> them alive, as they are constants in the code.

Too bad... couldn't it infer that they're not referred anywere? (just out of curiosity, I'm definitely not an expert on this)

  Enrico