Hey,

In Lua 5.2 string literals could the backslash-newline escape code
swallow the newline character rather than embedding it into the
string?  This would be similar to C's continuation lines.

The motivation for me is that there doesn't seem to be a way of having
really long string literals in a Lua source file split across multiple
lines without extra runtime overhead.  As far as I can tell, I either
have to use shorter pieces and concatenate them at runtime, or add
extra newlines to the string and remove them at runtime.

Cheers,

Joonas