Changing the system environment variables TEMP and TMP to point to D:\TEMP (but leaving the user TEMP and TMP pointing to R:\TEMP\%USERNAME%) indeed seems to solve the problem. But I don't see what it changes for my application since it runs from my user session, so the actual path it uses isn't changed... Oh well, it works now, so I'll forget about it for the time being :-)