On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 18:08, Mike Pall <mikelu-1003@mike.de> wrote:
> Morale: use pure Lua code for your inner loops. Trivial C helper
> functions don't pay off and may turn out to be slower than
> equivalent Lua code.

What about heavier functions? I'm thinking of common stuff like
alternative data structures for example.

I've written a skip list library in Lua, but I would like to write an
equivalent in C for efficiency reasons. If I want it to be as efficent
in LuaJIT, I'll have to write yet another version. The same is true
for other libraries. This is going to create two parallel ecosystems
of libs, and such a fragmentation is not a good thing for Lua as a
whole, IMO.

Cheers
-- Pierre-Yves