I'd like an explanation of how LuaJIT 2.0's compiler interacts with external C libraries that use the standard Lua C API. Specifically, if my Lua code calls a C function (outside the standard library) in a loop, are there any circumstances in which that loop can't be compiled to native code? My guess is that LuaJIT compiled code can't interact with external C functions as efficiently as it does with standard library functions that have fast paths in assembler. But I'd like to know more about how this works.

Thanks,
Matt