I'm glad I could help :-)
You could add a collectgarbage() call at the end of cleanLevel().

That said, the setfenv() solution is probably more elegant and more robust.

local protectMT = {__newindex=error}
local levelMT = {index=_G}

local MTindex

local function protectTable(tbl,index)
    for k,v in pairs(tbl) do
        if
            type(v)==table and
            getmetatable(v) ~= protectMT -- prevents from getting lost in
        then                             -- circular references.
            index[k]={getmetatable(v),{})
            protectTable(v,index[k][2])
            setmetatable(v,protectMT)
        end
    end
end

local function unprotectTable(tbl,index)
    for k,v in pairs(tbl) do
         if type(v)=="table" then
              setmetatable(v,index[k][1])
              unprotectTable(v,index[k][2])
        end
    end
end

local loadLevel = function(levelpath)
    local levelenv=setmetatable({},levelMT)
    local levelcode=loadfile(levelpath)
    setfenv(levelcode,levelenv)
    protectTable(_G,MTindex)
    -- it's now impossible to add or modify any global, or any
subtable of a global.
    local ret = levelcode()
    unprotectTable(_G,MTindex)
    return ret
end

To give back the control from a level, return from it's main chunk
(e.g., return true on level completion and false on death).

local success = loadlevel(level1)
collectgarbage()

if success then
    loadNextLevel()
else
    restartLevel()
end

The above code is not tested and may contain syntax or semantic
errors, but you get the idea :-)

Cheers,
-- Pierre-Yves