But it seems like, either way, I would then have to access all the
functions/objects in my level code with level1.a().  This is problematic,
because I already have a load of places in xml files (which describe the
level graphically and structurally) where I am just calling a();  .. which I
don't want to change..

If they're level-related, perhaps they too should be loaded into the level table.

Making this sort of changes after the design phase, when there is (possibly a lot of) code around, always tends to be messy.

  Enrico