On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Oliver Schmidt wrote:

> it's not only the data (that can be put before or within the
> lua_State), there might be also some action within
> luai_userstateopen, luai_userstatethread, ... How would you handle
> this, if these macros are going to be removed in Lua 5.2?

If such an extension mechanisms must be supported, I'd rather have the
Lua API be extended with a runtime mechanism for registering function
into a list of callbacks to call at specific well defined events, as
compared with the existing macro definition mechanism.  This way
separate extensions won't trample on each other.

Cheers,

Joonas