As for ignoring those, six of one, half dozen of the other. I hard-code my lua info (which the configure tries to get) into the script, then I don't have to change the other stuff as much. Seems like the work is about the same, just different ways to go about it.

Thanks for the input, just checking to see if I was missing something.

I assume you're building an embedded system when you talked about
cross-compile. And my experience is to ignore those configure scripts
at all.

I include those modules simply by add the source files directly into
my project. and so far so good.

The only thing I need to do is do a native-compile in pc and check
what -D definitions or other gcc argument should be given when
compiling those modules.

As for ./configure, it has built-in support for cross-compile but many
source code cannot work with it. You should use ./configure to
cross-compile the standard gnu tools. But for most lua modules this is
an unecessary overhead.