If I remember my compiler classes correctly there was a dynamic
programming algorithm for left recursion detection in CFG's. My
professor called it "Kleene construction" and a google search for that
string yields his slides on it.

Perhaps you should try:
Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools , Alfred Aho, Ravi Sethi,
Jeffrey Ullman, 1985, Addison-Wesley