 > I was focusing on the look of the code. You may not like the
 > paretheses, but IMHO, in terms of elegance there's Scheme and then
 > there's everything else.

I think Haskell offers some decent competition, but I respect your opinion.

I have observed as a matter of empirical fact (not opinion) that the
parentheses are a barrier for many people---just as many people find
S-expression syntax supremely elegant.  I happen to be one of those people
for whom the parentheses are a barrier.  This means I can appreciate Lisp
and Scheme only as long as I don't have to get anything done ;-)

 > And since you've mentioned Larry Wall, ...

Oh, please!  Only to make fun of him!  Perl makes me queasy...

Norman