On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 14:25, joao lobato <btnfdp.lobato@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does Lua need a short lambda syntax? I like FP and lambda calculus as
> much as the next guy, but if you want a minimalist functional language
> what is wrong with Scheme?

Lua is already a powerful functional language.

There's nothing wrong with scheme, but the Lua VM has a lot of
advantages that Scheme environments don't have (AFAIK).

this syntax could also replace do blocks, for example:

():

::()

You can also simply this pattern

if f then
    f(args)
end

(f or ():::)(args)

I actually use the former pattern with a nop=function()end declared in
the global environment, but once again, this syntax make things more
clear.

(f or nop)(foo, bar) looks alien to me.
_______________________
Pierre-Yves Gérardy, MD
Headache Research Unit
University of Liege
Citadelle Hospital (University dept. of Neurology),
Boulevard du XIIe de Ligne, 1
B4000 Liège, Belgium
Phone : +32 (0) 4 225 71 41
Mobile : +32 (0) 472 543 727
Fax : +32 (0) 4 223 88 07
Department Secretary : Ms Groven : +32 (0) 4 225 63 91