I *really* wish Lua strings were not byte-by-byte operated-on.....wish
unicode-safe operations were safe in the string "namespace".  Wish
that were a GSoC Lua project...never done GSoC, so I don't know how
it's done. :(  Oh well, hopefully someone else feels similarly?  Lua
is fantastic but does anyone think character arrays cut it?  I think
wchar_t is only big enough to fit the character for the current
locale...  Would sleep safer at night if it at least supported that.