Yeah.  Actually, we don't use rings anymore because we found ourselves
modifying the source code too much, so instead of shoehorning what we
needed into rings we effectively made our own rings as there turned
out to be quite a bit of other data we wanted to associate on the C
side with the lua_State such as parent/child state relations, a
priority queue, ....  The source file is here:

http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/projects/luaAV/browser/branches/luaav3/libluaav/src/luaav.cpp

It's probably way more than you need, but the take home lesson is
that, yes, you probably will have to modify rings.

wes