> I just uploaded new rocks for LuaExpat that uses the builtin build type
> instead of make, could you try them? They are building fine on OSX, could
> you try them on Ubuntu?

Confirmed, builds fine Ubuntu, thank you!

$ sudo luarocks install luaexpat
Installing http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks/luaexpat-1.1.0-4.rockspec...
gcc -O2 -fPIC -I/usr/include/lua5.1 -c src/lxplib.c -o src/lxplib.o
-I/usr/include -Isrc/
gcc -shared -o lxp.so -L/usr/lib src/lxplib.o -L/usr/lib -lexpat
Updating manifest for /usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks

However, I was not able to test it on OS X, as I started getting the
following error (now, on Ubuntu as well):

$ sudo luarocks install luaexpat
Installing http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks/luaexpat-1.1.0-4.rockspec...

Error: Error fetching file: Failed downloading
http://luaforge.net/frs/download.php/2469/luaexpat-1.1.tar.gz

Looks like one more LuaForge problem to me.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/luaforge.net

I've found GitHub project Downloads area really useful for hosting
releases. They also create tarballs automatically for each tag (now
with nicer URLs). (It seems, however, that LuaRocks does not handle
well all the HTTP redirections required to get such auto-generated
file...)

Alexander.