Hi,

add it back yourself may be ?

You can't, you don't know whether it was a CRLF or just a
LF, or where CRs were dropped.

LuaSocket uses a definition of "line" that works well in the
scenarios that were most common in our practice. That is, a
line is terminated by an LF or CRLF. Any CR that may have
been lying around is also eliminated. This makes for a
simple implementation that does not require look aheads and
that supports both LF, CRLF, and LFCR conventions, as long
as there are no CR singletons that you care about. I think
this is a reasonable price to pay.

To OP: I think you'll have to read fixed size blocks,
setting the timeout to zero, and when it fails to read all
the data get the partial block from the third argument.
luasocket is pretty good, but can get quite hard to use
outside of the IETF line oriented protocols it appears to
have been designed for.

That's right. If the definition of line you have to deal
with is different, I think the Lua solution is to write your
own abstraction that reads blocks (in non-blocking mode) and
splits the blocks into lines according to whatever convention you want. The last few bytes that are not part of a complete line can be fed back into the receive call so they get returned along with the next block. Rinse and repeat.

I could certainly have written a more general scheme, but
it's all a matter of where you draw the line.

Kind regards,
Diego