steve donovan wrote:
On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:
You can't know the type of the receiver in Python either, so if Python
editors can do it, then Lua editors ought to be able to do so as well.

I'd be curious to know what heuristics they're using, because it is not
possible in theory to do this precisely without full access to run-time
information.

Unless (of course) we are in a debugger session - then the type is known and
can be introspected.

The LuaEclipse environment is tightly coupled with the LuaJava
implementation that allows us to use both a live runtime as well
as static parsing of the lua sources to get an idea of what completions
might be available.

Far from 100% accurate, but any completion is better than no completion
as long as it doesn't get in your way =;-)

Verion 2.0 should have an even better set of heuristics and allow you
to scope the context of your included source so that you can get
completion for external environments that might be doing the 'require'ing
for you.

Thomas
--
Thomas Fletcher