On Jan 17, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Rob Kendrick wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:48:28 -0800
> Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 17, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Rob Kendrick wrote:
>>
>>> Sure, but it's not possible to be useful with method calls, for
>>> example.  (Because the editor can't know the type of the variable
>>> before the colon, as well as many other reasons.)
>>
>> You can't know the type of the receiver in Python either, so if
>> Python editors can do it, then Lua editors ought to be able to do so
>> as well.
>
> If you can't know before runtime, than this suggests that the editors
> you refer to run it to find out.  Or guess.
>
> Either option terrifies me.

I'd be reasonably certain that they guess. Why does this terrify you? Code completion is almost always a guess even in statically typed languages. True, it's a better guess in statically typed languages and they can keep you from sending messages that won't be understood, but that isn't the same as guaranteeing that you will send the message you need to send.

Mark