On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
> Sure, but it's not possible to be useful with method calls, for
> example.  (Because the editor can't know the type of the variable
> before the colon, as well as many other reasons.)

That's very true, if we were editing. On the Lua command line, you can
get further because you are within a live program. E.g., look at

http://lua-users.org/wiki/CompleteWithReadline

(I've actually separated out this stuff as a module if anyone is
interested; in any case it is good strategy to load readline
explicitly only when doing interactive work - Mike Pall has shown that
it does significantly slow the interpreter startup down.)

> able to do something that works most of the time.  But you can't
> auto-generate these .api files either, I bet.

You mean in the sense of static code analysis?  Yeah, it can't be
perfect. But perfection isn't necessary, as long as one gets help
sufficiently often ;)

steve d.