On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:19:30 +0100
"Sandro Fergnani" <safe60@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi all. This is my first post to the list.

Then we'll let you off replying to an existing thread rather than
starting a new one :)

> I'm using lua to build a dedicated language for numerical control.
> Using the Lua API  I added many custom commands to the lua
> interpreter. My question is : Is there a reccomended way to give
> credtis to LUA ?  I want to place my copyright information notice for
> the part I wrote myself, but I obviously want to give credits to the
> LUA environment. It's enough if I leave the original copyright notice
> untouched and just add my own copyright text ? Thanks for your
> opinion.

You can read the licence here:

http://www.lua.org/license.html

The specific sentence you need to be concerned about is: "The above
copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software."  Unfortunately, that
doesn't specify if the binary just needs to include the notice, or if
it must be visible to people just poking about in the binary or sources.

You can cover your bets by including it, perhaps prefixed with
"Portions of this software are", in all of your binary, your
documentation, and perhaps in any "About box" or version information
your application displays.

Just make sure you remember that it's Lua, and not LUA. :)

B.