If you want to randomize your numbers further - not only using seconds
time, you could do that:

local tstart = os.clock()
local hashsource = (tstart..os.time().."some other string (hostname?)"):rep(100)
local hash = 0
for i=1,#hashsource do
  local a = hashsource:byte(i,i)
  for j=1,#hashsource do
    local b = hashsource:byte(j,j)
    local h = a*0x10000+b
    hash = (hash + h)%(0xffffffff+1)
  end
end
local t = os.clock() - tstart
hash = (hash + math.floor(t*0x10000)+os.time())%(0xffffffff+1)
print("seed: ",hash)
math.randomseed(hash)

The os.clock function returns the number of seconds (with about 5
millisecond precision) that your application has used up (processor
time - as far as I know). So if you make some somewhat complex
calculations, it'll be somewhat random how long it takes, depending on
the machine that runs, other processes, etc. (since some wlan drivers
nowadays do some kind of processing on the CPU (my netbook slows down
if the connection is bad), this is supposed to take different times
now and then).

But of course, as others have pointed out: the math.random function is
of poor quality, so if you need really good random numbers, use a
library that is supposed to return good random numbers.

Eike