> BTW, how it is possible (within Lua defined by the manual) to get
> different results for lua_version called with a state and with NULL? I
> think I understand why luaL_checkversion is there, but lua_version
> existence suggests that version mismatch may be legal. Is it so?

This is provided to detect multiple instances of the Lua core in an app.
For instance, an app might have Lua statically linked into it and then
dynamically link a Lua library that by mistake also includes a Lua core.
Then a library function may be handed a Lua state created by the core
in the app and not by the one in the library. We've had reports of obscure
bugs when that happens in 5.1. Search the archives for dummynode.