----- Original Message -----
From: Jerome Vuarand
Date: 1/13/2010 12:10 PM
2010/1/13 steve donovan<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>:
Today I find it annoying that there's no 'goto' ;)

Yes, I know, evil of evils, but useful when you have to be _fast_.
(Hit this one trying to do lookahead with the token filter patch)
The VM would have to be more complex to support goto, and thus slower.
I wonder if you could gain any speed at all compared to using an
algorithm suited to the current VM (with tail calls, coroutines,
etc.).
Metalua has a goto, I believe. I never paid any attention to how it was implemented. I always thought the Lua VM had a goto, because Metalua writes out Lua VM instructions.

Josh