> About compiling... is it my faulty memory, or was Lua supposed to be
> compilable in C++ mode? I get errors (I'll detail them if this is relevant).

Lua *is* supposed to be compilable in C++ mode. To quote manual:

    Lua is implemented as a library, written in clean C (that is, in
the common subset of ANSI C and C++).

Also, standard 5.1 implementation was fully C++ compatible (i'e. it
did stack unwinding and stuff). I don't know if it still holds true
for 5.2 with all that new yield-accross-C-code stuff.

Alexander.