On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:00, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> This was a scary way to start Saturday with Lua 5.2:

>> require 'lfs'
> error loading module 'lfs' from file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/lfs.so':
>        /usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/lfs.so: undefined symbol: luaL_openlib

> Was it a deliberate decision to break the 5.1 ABI? If so, I can see a
> world of pain opening up, particularly on Windows.

ABI breakages are unavoidable, and 5.1->5.2 transition have all rights
to do them.

That being said, the issue looks nasty.

I believe that the desired behavior for require is to detect Lua
version mismatch and skip the module to try to find a next one that
fits better. I'm not sure if it is doable though...

Alexander.