--
    Cafu - The Game and Graphics Engine for
multiplayer, cross-platform, real-time 3D Action
           Learn more at www.cafu.de

It depends on what you want from the library which one you should try. For example as you want it to be cross platform that rules out a couple of them. Do you want it to use vanilla Lua or are you OK with it making adjustment to the Lua core, remembering that many addons and debuggers for Lua with a changed core may not work. Then there seems to be some with are no longer in development and also do you want to preform the binding yourself or do you want it to be automatic and the library parses your input files?

If you are thinking of going down the reinvent the wheel route the there is a comparision of the different methods in IIRC Game Programming Gems 6, also some details to consider in an article in Lua Programming Gems. Personally I would say do not invest the time in reinventing the wheel and instead use a try and tested library, yet if everyone did this there would not be so many options (I hold my hand up :) ).

Sorry but if I were to recommend a library it would be a biased answer so I will leave it at that.
Liam