steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> > Everyone is welcome. Ask away.
>
> Maybe sometimes we are ruder than necessary. RTFM is not a encouraging reply.

Not so fast. A complete noob to programming who has not the slightest
idea where even to begin reading this fearfully long and complex manual
is one thing. We all start(ed) as noobs (I read a book about 6502
assembly language five times, before I had a glimmer of an idea of what
the heck this guy was talking about.)

But the lazy git who just can't be bothered to search the web, the
manuals or even his/her own brain... well, that's another matter
altogether. In this case rudeness can be necessary... as a survival
tactic.

I agree that there's a fine line between the two and sometimes the list
errs on the side of helping out nevertheless, sometimes on the side of
rudeness. There's no perfect answer to this question but replies that
add heat without light should probably not have been posted in the first
place.

--
cheers  thomasl

web: http://thomaslauer.com/start