Enrico Colombini wrote:
David Given wrote:
I've tried making C compilers work on the 6502 and Z80; while they do
have stacks, they only really like doing pushes and pops and are
egregiously unoptimised for stack frame random access.

I don't remember if I ever looked into the produced code, but The Manx C compiler I used on the Apple II seemed to work fine. I don't think I measured its efficiency, though, because I used it mainly for high-level code. It would be interesting to dig it up and see what tricks it used.

If I recall correctly, there was an indirection register, but you could
only offset up to 255 bytes away from it....not that anyone would
be able to make much more local stack than that anyways :-)

Ralph