On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
> this era with a contemporary one on an equal basis? Because,
> depressingly, state-of-the-art in programming languages hasn't moved
> much in those 41 years.

Programming languages will never "move much" unless the underlying
technology does.  We're still using essentially the same hardware
architecture that was designed before we even had electronics.  While
it's possible to create some super language that is totally different,
the trade-offs will be too great when used with current hardware.

I could make a car analogy here about steering wheels and gas pedals
but I won't do it.  ;)

=====

I'm still trying to figure out how Go fits into the scheme of things.
I mean, what is its target purpose.  The current popular trend seems
to be using very high level languages to control low-level components
(eg. the web, Lua, Python, etc).  Go is some sort of in-between
low-level and high level thing like Java.  I don't like that model
because it has all the annoyances of a low-level language (verbose,
compiled) with the performance concerns of a high-level language.

Maybe its purpose is to be like Java except more suited for writing an
operating system.  For a long time I have been thinking about writing
an OS in Lua.  Just as an exercise.  I know performance might be iffy;
although with LuaJIT who knows.

CR